Yes, I knit a skirt last year. I saw this in the First Fall issue of Knitty and loved the look and loved it even more since I didn’t need to procure yarn for it as I had plenty of leftovers from my Bobby’s Garden project.
Unfortunately that last sentence turned out to be a lie because of my occasional need for symmetry.
While I did actually have enough yardage to complete the skirt, after I finished knitting with the first ball (no knots — do you see where this is going?) and started in on the second I discovered that the flow of colours was disrupted by a knot or two. So I ripped apart the third ball to find the same thing. ARGH! It was especially frustrating because the colour that was missing was amongst my favourite bit of the colourway (the green shades). So onto Ravlery I went asking anyone who had a ball or two of the same colourway if 1. they’d be interested in selling/trading it if 2. it contained the green shade. Luckily I was able to get a ball as well as a bit of leftover with the green so I could keep the colourway in tact.
I had cast-on pretty quickly after the pattern was published and made quick progress until I ran into the yarn problem. It took me a little longer than expected to source the replacement yarn, but I didn’t start back on it right away. Once I did start again I knit and knit and knit and felt like I was getting nowhere. It turns out I was measuring the wrong side and made a skirt about 4 sizes too big… ooops.
That required a lot of ripping and then re-knitting the decreases. It went quickly from there before I knit the waistband. I decided I didn’t like the unfinished edge so I added an applied i-cord edge. And then it sat around for ages and ages waiting for me to sew down the waistband and put in the elastic.
I got it all finished up not long before Christmas and it made it’s inaugural appearance on Christmas day.
I’m really pleased with how this turned out. It’s a bit tighter around the bum than I’d like, but perhaps with a different stretch during blocking I can alleviate that some as well as bring up the length (it currently sits just below my knees at a slightly awkward length — it needs to be a little shorter or longer). I think in some places I put in too many stitches for the applied i-cord so it’s gone a bit wobbly, but it’s not bad. I’m really impressed with my seaming as I did a really good job matching up the stripes and making a virtually invisible seam. This is thanks to my class with Annie Modesitt at KnitCamp.
Pattern: Lanesplitter by Tina Whitmore
Yarn: Noro Kureyon (138) and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (brown) for the waistband
Needles: 6mm for skirt and 5mm for ribbing
Size: US 12 / UK 16
Full details on my Ravelry page.